I am trying to provide care for my parents at home and I am considering hiring a caregiver privately verses using an agency? What do you recommend and why?
This is a very good question and one we hear commonly. We always recommend to families to hire an agency versus a private caregiver. You may save money in the short-term hiring a private caregiver through the newspaper or on Craigslist, but in the long run you may have created a whole new set of issues.
Here are the benefits to hiring a reputable home care agency.
• They are bonded, licensed, and ensured
• They have completed a comprehensive background check on the caregiver.
• They most likely have experience/history with the caregiver
• Agencies ensure their caregivers are properly trained and provide ongoing support.
• Agencies monitor and supervise their caregivers; if you are unhappy let them know you want a change.
• If a caregiver calls in sick or has a personal emergency, the agency will replace the caregiver same day (in most cases).
• Before considering a private caregiver consider the liability, responsibility and tax implications as an employer.
Kate Caldwell, MA, CMC
Elder Care Expert